Tuesday 25 July 2017

WEEK 4 ... THE TIME MANAGEMENT DILEMMA


This week I want to focus on time management. To tell truth time and I have a very conflicting relationship.  I have been for many job interviews in my lifetime and the one question I have always been asked is "what is your weakness?"... the answer was always the same... "time management".  This is possibly not the best answer to give at a job interview but I have always been one to tell the truth and yes the truth can be scary but this truth is a fact.  So how have I overcome it?  Honestly, I haven't but it is not from lack of trying.  Life is full of distractions, however, that too is no good excuse.  I am learning slowly and am going to share a few tips from personal experience that are helping me.

Let us start at the beginning.  What is time management?
  "Time management is the process of planning and exercising conscious control over the amount of time spent on specific activities - especially to increase effectiveness, efficiency or productivity.
It is a meta-activity with the goal to maximize the overall benefit of a set of other activities within the boundary condition of a limited amount of time, as time itself cannot be managed because it is fixed.
Time management may be aided by a range of skills, tools, and techniques used to manage time when accomplishing specific tasks, projects, and goals complying with a due date. Initially, time management referred to just business or work activities, but eventually the term broadened to include personal activities as well. A time management system is a designed combination of processes, tools, techniques, and methods. Time management is usually a necessity in any project development as it determines the project completion time and scope." -  Wikepedia
Wow, that is a mouthful! Let us take a closer look at how we can manage our time more effectively.

1.  Make a list of your daily activities

This can be a long list but start at the beginning.  What is the first thing you do in the morning?  Note your daily routine and write it down.

2.  Break down your list and prioritize

I note things which are important/must do activities, things that need doing but can wait and things that are not so important and should I not be able to complete them I don't feel so bad.

3.  Set up goals

These will help you focus.  They don't have to be big, start small and then working towards and achieving them will give you a sense of achievement and boost your self control.

4.  Don't procrastinate

Here too I am guilty.  I can't do this because...., don't make excuses stick to the plan no matter how hard it may seem.

5.  Be disciplined

Get a diary, write down your tasks for the day, give yourself acceptable and achievable time limits for each and stick to it. Self-discipline is an important skill to master and can relieve alot of unnecessary stress.

6.  Take a break 

This is very important.  You can't work all day and not take a break, you will lose focus and this can negatively impact on your work.  I find that I can only fully concentrate for no more than 90 minutes at a time. Taking a walk, listening to music, working in the garden etc, whatever is suitable for you as long as you can rest your mind and feel refreshed is a good idea.

That is it from me for this week.  Next week we will start looking at building our business, I haven't decided quite yet where to start yet so it will be interesting believe me 😄

In ending I would like to share a great video I watched on YouTube.... Enjoy!!

How to Manage Time With 10 Tips That Work 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment